Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Suggestions for improvement
Hi All,

After being back on the server, I've thought of some ideas that I feel would improve the player experience and build a larger community. There's quite a bit to it so I'll break it down into sections.
I'd also like to add that I don't know the creative server well enough to suggest improvements.

Hub - A players first impression:
  • When I rejoined the first thing that I noticed is that the portals do not work. In the eyes of a new player it could mean that the servers arent working or dont exist. The GUI is handy for server selecting but the old-school way to go needs to be working too.
  • Another thing that doesn't seem to work is the cosmetic menus. Everything that I tried on there said I didn't have permission. Is there a way to use it that I don't know about or should there be a way made? the other option is to just remove it. For as long as I've remembered this has always been a feature that's not worked properly.
  • My last hub suggestion is to turn the large areas under parkour into a pvp area where similar to parkour, when you step on a pressure plate you turn on "pvp mode" which gives you a kit of equipment and lets you fight.

Towny:
  • I believe it was 1.10 where we had a tutorial to the server. I think this would be handy for new players when they join. In my eyes the reason that the last one did not catch on was because it was super long winded and quest-like, but mainly there was no way to skip it. all you need is a long room with holograms or signs explaining how things work. This will give new players a bit more understanding of how the server works and how to play so they may stay longer.
  • Dare I say it? Get more staff. The current staff team are fantastic but back in the day it was double the size. If there are more mods on the server then it will allow admins to focus on other tasks like adding new features and setting up events.
  • I'm going to make a separate post on this but bring back the trading card maps that Redslam did. They were amazing and its a great way at this stage in the game for players to spend their money on and even grind to complete the set. Lots of players seem to be losing motivation to keep going and this will be a great way to keep them on wok rather than elsewhere.
  • Throwbacks – my idea is to have WOK Heirlooms. These can be gained through contests or around the map or even through custom recipes. They will be memories of the previous years of towny that old players may have forgotten about. Could have things like redslams drip drop game, Gobias addition of the marriage plugin or even husker’s thanksgiving kit. There could be a grand prize for collecting all of them and even if not, it’s a bit of fun and a great throwback for the veterans. If this idea goes ahead, maybe make a thread asking the community for ideas as different people remember different things.

Advertising:
  • Instagram - Create a style or theme for the page, make sure that all ingame images are shot with shaders to make it look professional and maybe have a schedule of what sorts of posts go up and when.
  • Reddit - I'm not sure if this is already used by either Towny or creative but I know a couple of servers that have done their advertising mainly on Reddit and build a good sized community. Use it to showcase how great wok is, with the finest builds from both sides of the server.
  • I was thinking about what WoK's unique selling point is that sets it apart from other Creative/Towny servers. The answer I came up with is Keralis. While he's back into Minecraft, see if we can arrange some videos to be created on the server. There's lots of amazing builds on Towny so why not have an admin show him around the server and show Keralis' audience what WoK is all about! Another thing we could try is to ask Keralis to create a WoKTube playlist on his page so his audience can see what happens on his server and content made by other people.

Events:
  • The main thing for me is that events aren't being put anywhere other than in-game or on discord. Towny are hosting a PVP tournament but there will not be any new PvPers on the server as it's not being advertised on social media or even on the website!
  • Giveaways - If there isn't already enough reasons to check out WoK, give the world another reason and get that reason out there. My suggestion would be a raffle for 6 months donator rank (0 cost to the server opposed to an Amazon voucher). Set a week and for every hour in that week a player is on, they get a ticket. Then a name is picked at random to win. You could even gain another donator from this as well if they like the perks.
Other Things:
  • 1 off claim for previous donators - This could be something small like a discord badge of “Veteran Donator” or an extra ability in the hub. I think it’s a small gesture but lots of people will appreciate the thought of it. As some people have spent $100+ for it to be wiped without a nod or a thanks. If the old Enjin site is still about, maybe send a message to all users on that just saying that they can claim their little thanks if they come on. (could bring back loads of veterans just though the message to remind them of WoK.)
  • WoK Website - This definitely needs improvement. There should be most of the features that the old Enjin site had like a staff list, news, maybe even a gallery of greatest builds. I know Beef is working on some sort of site for the server so I'll see the outcome and maybe suggest further ideas.

Hopefully some of these ideas are considered and maybe implimented. I'm happy to support in whatever way with any of these ideas. Just let me know.

Have a great day everyone!
Adam | Sauroops
Hello!
I believe the portals in the hub are being worked on, if they're not working now, they should be working soon hopefully. I believe as well that cosmetics on the hub may still be in the works, it is a MrAnonymous project I believe. PvP on the hub might be a good idea, especially if there ever needs to be down time for either server, but restarts are fairly quick now, a minute or less most if not all the time now. On the server we have /kit info and there are signs at spawn explaining the server as well. A more extensive tutorial is definitely a possibility though, and could be looked into by staff I think. As for social media, I'm not really apart of that as much as some others, but I'm sure they're always glad to hear feedback from others so I'm sure they'll appreciate and consider your ideas Smile As far as I know the server isn't connected to reddit, I could be wrong though. Furthermore, Keralis has been fairly active on the server. Recently he was on towny 5 days ago or so playing spleef and checking out a players town. Video was recorded that day and I'm sure will be posted soon on WoKTube if not posted already. I agree that a forum post could be made about the pvp tournament, I'd be glad to work on one myself Smile Social media is definitely a good place to get more sign-ups as well Smile As for giveaways, they sound fun, but honestly not really my call. Same with "old donors" getting something back, sounds cool, but again, I can't really say much as to if it's something we'd do or not. More of a call for leadership or admins I think. The trading cards I also think would be cool to bring back, it's always good to give people something extra to do imo Tongue Throwbacks are a cool idea as well, definitely possible I think :b Lastly, as for more staff, recently vaalencia was promoted to Trusted, and not too long before Kitty and Vivian as well. If higher staff feels as though they are ready for the position of moderator, the Trusted player would be asked if they'd like the position and if they accept we'd promote them. Staff selection can be a lengthy process at times, and we try our best to find players we think will do well. The size of staff is always subject to change, but the size of the playerbase is a big factor when deciding that I think.

Thanks for posting, Sauroops!Big Grin

Sincerely, Yorkie, WoK Towny Staff
Portals on the hub have been fixed and donors should now have access to the cosmetics menu (While fixing this, all ranks were reset to default, so if you're missing your donor rank, just contact us on discord or on the server and we will add you back)

Thank you for your suggestions, they really help us a lot!

- Saber
[Image: 3vbQi.gif]